Armor Development Division
PLEASE CONTACT US FOR SECURED SITE URL AND ACCESS CODE
FOR U.S. MILITARY & LAW ENFORCEMENT SALES ONLY !
MechArmor Defense Systems
Designed for M1114, the Praetorian-2 Top gunner protection system can be easily adapted to any vehicle using the standard current U.S. militaries style turret ring – product number – (M7Q-299). As well, the current floor design can be further easily modified for hole size and location to accommodate other size or style load-bearing rings.
In 2006 MechArmor Defense Systems was approached by the U.S Armies (Joint I.E.D Task Force) to design and Mfg. a completely new Top Gunner Protection unit for the M1114 Hummer in lieu of their current systems which had fallen short of the U.S Governments stated design requirements . The MechArmor’s Praetorian Turret was evaluated alongside of the BAE Systems Rhino Turret, and the ARDEC – GPK, which was designed at Picattinney arsenal. The U.S Army Field Team for the Joint I.E.D Task Force made their final evaluation and chose the MechArmor Praetorian Turret over all other designs hands down. The Joint I.E.D Task Force, and Rapid Equipping Force – (REF) was further contacted in 2007 by then Commander of all Forces in Iraq, General Casey, for the immediate deployment of the MechArmor P-2 Turret System.
The Praetorian Turret system is the only Top Gunner protection system available today that provides 100% 360-degree ballistic protection, while also providing 360-degree usable visibility; NONE of the other Top gunner protection kits designed can meet these features. Along with these safety features, we also designed in two primary weapon (M4) racks to stow the soldiers or Police Officers primary weapon at his ready for quick engagement of threats that appear higher than the gunner’s armor protection. Two Convex shaped rear-view mirrors provide excellent 160-degree viewing area behind the vehicle, to which the gunner can see moving threats without moving the Turret, out to 150 yards clearly.
The Praetorian-2 will work on the M1025 and M1114 Humvee’s, the Stryker, MRAP and Rhino Troop carrier vehicles, as well as a number of other small Marine and over-land vehicles where a standard load-bearing Turret ring can be attached.
The cupola’s monocoque design with integral gun shield affords the following advantages over a design with separate cupola and gun shield as found with all other Mfg’s:
- No gaps between cupola and gun shield! Guarantees 100% 360-degree ballistic protection from all angles, at all times, regardless of gunner or turret orientation.
- No attached gun-shield means less un-sprung weight on weapon greatly enhances target acquisition.
- Gun can be traversed through an arc of more than 40 degrees, affording the gunner a greater effective arc of fire without having to spin the turret.
- Negates “main-sail” effect of separate gun shield while driving or in high wind conditions regardless of turret position. (Far higher aerodynamic coefficient at speed).
- The turret floor ensures the gunner is protected in all positions from blast overpressure and bomb fragments from beneath – unlike other designs.
- ¼-inch RHA steel coupled with high-density polyurethane spall liner provides 360 degree armored protection.
- Angled sidewalls increase armor’s ballistic performance and blast mitigation.
- NIJ III ballistic glass gives near 360-degree visibility allowing gunner to remain protected at helmet defilade at all times while still being able perform the job of vehicle security, threat identification and interdiction.
- Removable window brackets allow easy replacement of ballistic glass panels for unit level maintenance.
- Two Universal weapon Pintle Adapter (UPA) receivers: one positioned forward of standard pintle mount location enables the .50 MG to be moved forward allowing additional room for the gunner to provide a more natural gun sight alignment which affords quicker target acquisition and accuracy. The Forward UPA receiver is also used with M249 SAW, with the rear UPA receiver being positioned for use with the M240B and M19 Grenade launcher.
- Ammo-Can mount positions can be either floor mounted or gun mounted.
- Two top mounted horizontal mirrors provide rear visibility, allowing the gunner far higher situational awareness of emerging threats from the rear without leaving his forward facing position or turning the turret.
- Four D-rings mounted onto inside turret walls for easy unit level installation or removal.
We have eliminated 95% of the large double-sided wall-joint welds with a new process of bending this extremely hard armor plate. This allows the three sides of the main Cupola to be a single piece of steel, and the front shield to be one single piece as well, with only one weld per side bringing them together into one unit, leaving only the floor plate to be added.
This production process further enhances the P-2 turrets already outstanding ballistic mitigation ability. As well, it affords us far greater production efficiency per unit, lower production costs and a lower finished weight. All of which translates to less cost and more product efficiency in the field for the end user.
THE FOLLOWING PICTURE DEPICTS THE "SEPARATED" MOVABLE FRONT SHIELD DESIGN OF ALL COMPETITOR TURRETS. HERE IT IS EASY TO SEE THE SF TROOPER'S MASSIVE EXPOSURE EVEN WHEN THE SHIELD IS ORIENTED STRAIGHT AHEAD. THE SIDE GAP MORE THAN DOUBLES WHEN THE SHIELD IS SWUNG TO EITHER SIDE WITH THE ATTACHED WEAPON. EXACERBATING THE ISSUE FURTHER, THESE DESIGNS HAVE NO FLOOR PROTECTION, THUS LEAVING A LARGE 360 DEGREE GAP BETWEEN THE ROOF TOP, AND THE LOWER EDGE OF THE CUPOLA FOR BLAST DEBRIS TO INFILTRATE. ALSO IDENTIFY THAT THE BALLISTIC WINDOWS ARE NOT NEEDED, SINCE THE SOLDIERS EYE LEVEL IS FAR ABOVE DEFILADE, TOTALLY EXPOSING THE SOLDIERS HEAD.